Black Eyed Pea Gumbo with Shrimps
Prep time15 m
Cook time55 m
Total time1 h 10 m
|0.75 lb||large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|3 links||smoked Andouille sausage, cut into 4 pieces|
|1 lb||chicken thighs, cut up into pieces|
|2 (15 oz) cans||black eyed peas|
|0.5||yellow onion, diced|
|1||red bell pepper, diced|
|0.5 cup||celery, diced|
|0.75 (6 oz) can||tomato paste|
|1 (14.5 oz) can||fire roasted diced tomatoes|
|2 lb||chicken broth|
|2 tbsp||Cajun seasoning|
|3 tbsp||Worcestershire sauce|
|2 tsp||garlic powder|
- Before starting all ingredients are prepared beforehand.
- The Dutch oven is operated at medium temperature and two tablespoon of EVOO is swirled to it.
- Yellow onion (diced), celery, red bell pepper and salt (according to taste) are added and it is cooked for something like 6-7 minutes with occasional stirring.
- By the time the cooking of above ingredients proceeds, it is made sure that the tails are pulled off from shrimp properly.
- Minced garlic is added before the addition of shrimp prepared in the previous step.
- Then the shrimp is added to the Dutch oven and it is then cooked for about two minutes. They are then flipped and cooked for about two more minutes. About 1/2 the Cajun seasoning, pepper, salt and a teaspoon full of powdered garlic is added to the shrimp.
- The shrimp is then taken out and drained on a plate.
- Chicken (already cut up) and sausage are added to the Dutch oven and stirred together. More salt is then added. This is cooked for about next 6-7 minutes until it begins to brown.
- The shrimp is then placed back into the pan and everything is mixed together.
- Tomato paste, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt are stirred in and this stirring is continued as long as the tomato paste is not mixed together properly.
- Chicken broth, thyme, fire roasted and diced tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, and black eyed peas are then added. Everything is then stirred together and brought to boil.
- It is simmered till the time you wish to savor it.
Recipe NotesIt is preferably served over cooked brown rice, cornbread and Tabasco sauce. This is probably a more than perfect meal for occasions like New Years Day.
Presentation » Served Hot
Amount per serving ( total)
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat||10.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.3 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||27.8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.1 g|
|Total Sugars||8.3 g|
|Vitamin A, RAE||75 μg|
|Vitamin B1||0.16 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.27 mg|
|Vitamin B3||4.56 mg|
|Vitamin B5||0.56 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.26 mg|
|Vitamin B9||128.4 μg|
|Vitamin B12||0.14 μg|
|Vitamin C||28 mg|
|Vitamin D||2 IU|
|Vitamin E||1.24 mg|
|Vitamin K||36.3 μg|
* The Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.