Chicken, Rice and Potato Soup
Prep time10 m
Cook time40 m
Total time50 m
Original recipe yields:
6 servings (1 1/2 cup per serving)
|1 cup||onion, chopped|
|1 tbsp||garlic, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp||vegetable oil|
|0.25 lb||chicken, thawed, cut up, and skin removed from each piece|
|6 small||red potatoes, chopped|
|0.25 cup||white rice, uncooked|
|0.5 tsp||chili powder|
|1 cup||green peas (or ½ can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium green peas)|
|0.5 tsp||cayenne or jalapeño chilies, diced (if you have it)|
|0.5 cup||fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (if you have it)|
- Pour a small amount of oil into a large pot and put it over medium to high heat.
- Put your garlic and onions inside. Stir them in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Now, add the chicken. Continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken has been browned, you can stir in the potatoes, water, rice and chili powder.
- Raise the heat to a boil. Continue to boil for 15 more minutes.
- Drop the heat. Stirring occasionally, cook for 15-20 minutes more.
- Pour the peas in along with the cayenne (optional) and jalapeno chilies (optional). Continue cooking for 8 minutes.
- Take the pot off the stove. Add cilantro (optional) and parsley (optional).
- Stir one more time and cover.
- Wait 5 minutes and then serve.
Recipe NotesBe sure the chicken’s internal temperature reaches the minimum safe 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Amount per serving ( total)
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat||3.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.3 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.6 g|
|Total Sugars||3.3 g|
|Vitamin A, RAE||29 μg|
|Vitamin B1||0.17 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.09 mg|
|Vitamin B3||3.38 mg|
|Vitamin B5||0.72 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.44 mg|
|Vitamin B9||42.9 μg|
|Vitamin B12||0.04 μg|
|Vitamin C||23 mg|
|Vitamin D||0 IU|
|Vitamin E||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin K||84.3 μg|
* The Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.